Friday, August 21, 2009

Stretching to Level 15

Last week, I lamented about the lack of substance in the class quests for mage.  I still feel that way, but then read about a second mage quest at level 15.  Yes, still not my teleport - I'm very excited for that level 20 skill - but still something special.  The tricky bit was how to reach level 15 when all of my level applicable quests ended at 11.  

My solution, grinding.  I know, it's not glamorous or particularly interesting, but, as a mage, I'm a little too squishy to tackle the upper level quests.  But somehow I got there, and then it was onward to the mage quest.
This week is another two part entry.

-----
Last we met, I hit level 12.  To start, I completed my remaining level 11 quests, collect spider parts, boar parts and bear parts, (ok. I can deal with that), kill a set number of Toggs and collect their teeth (ew, but ok), kill tunnel rats and collect their ears (ew!)  A lot of the quests here are grind type quests.  The brighter side of the coin, Toggs and Tunnel Rats both drop coinage and linen for first aid. So there could be worse things.  Even the boars drop meat I can use for cooking skills.  

I had a turn in quest, a level 15, which could have been labeled level 10.  How easy was it to walk up the path, talk to the fellow and be told travel to Stormwind and deliver this letter for me.  Pardon me?  Stormwind?  Is that all?  That place that I can, and have, been traveling back and forth to and from since I was a little level 7?  Well, that's worth an easy experience boost, reputation boost and 6 silver.  And even better, when I arrived, I noticed a quest giver across the square who wanted me to make a return delivery.  Sure, I can deliver your package while I collect my next quest.   Easy experience, easy reputation and 7 more silver.  Sure!


*The above picture is fuzzy because of the tram movement.  Also, don't move around too much or, like me, you'll fall off.

In no time at all, I returned to Loch Modan and find my quest log listing only quests for level 15. Unfortunate, seeing as I'm only level 13.

I attempted a level 15 quest I picked up in Ironforge.  It was a simple turn in quest.  "Go find Bingles", who, according to my carbonite addon is on the opposite side of the loch.  Yeah, sounds easy enough, until you find out that there are level 19/20 Lurkers (Loch Monster type animals) that agro from miles away.  I died on the swim over to Bingles, only to find out he wanted me to go hunt for his missing tools.  Another level 15 quest.   :-P   No, I wasn't expecting to get a level 13 quest after I turned in a level 15, but where are my level 12-14 quests. 

But with 2 levels to go, I had to do something so I reviewed my quest log.  I had a collection quest, into the tunnels where the Tunnel Rats lived.  I figured that, of all my available quests, this one might be the easiest.  The Rats are only level 10-12.  The trouble, they come in droves and some have an ability that resists fire damage.  I died a few times, but managed to complete the quest.   Lucky for me, the experience boost brought me up to level 14, so it was back to Ironforge for my training.  Boy oh Boy do I wish I had a teleport spell.  No more dropping what I'm doing and running back to a flight paths for training. 

Level 14 brings me Level 2 Arcane Intelligence, Level 2 Fire Blast, Level 3 frostbolt, all standard upgrades, and a new spell, Arcane Explosion, which is an Area-Of-Effect, excellent for when those extra monsters attack at once. 
Then back to grinding.  Part two tomorrow with the last of the grinding and my mage quest write up.

No comments:

Post a Comment